The Portland Science Center is hosting the Titanic Artifact Exhibit until the fall of 2016. A featured artifact recovered from the wreck in 1987, 75 years after the tragic sinking, are tiles from the 1st class bathrooms and swimming pool.
Tile tiles were manufactured by Villeroy & Boch, a company still in business today. The octagon with square dot pattern was produced from 1886 to the early 1920’s. The back stamp on each tile indicates that they were produced around 1910, perfect timing for a ship that was completed in May 1911. Because the tile was being used in wet areas the mosaic pattern on the surface was to provide slip resistance. Similar to encaustic tile (concrete) they were approximately 1” thick, whereas modern day tile is 3/8”